Briefly in English - What is Synapsi?
Synapsi ry is the students' organisation of biology and geography students of the University of Turku. Synapsi was founded in 1962. You can apply for a membership if you study or have studied biology or geography in the University of Turku. We also have supporting and honourable members.
The purpose of the organisation is to bind members' interests, promote academic and work life matters and keep in touch with corresponding organisations in Finland and abroad. Synapsi ry organises plenty of nights out, sports, cultural activities and excursions to its members. It also acts as a collaborate body between the departments and the students. Synapsi ry is also responsible for mentoring new freshmen.The board of Synapsi meets each week and the meetings are free to attend for everyone.
The organisation magazine called "Faabeli" is released in Finnish language twice a year. There are also older journals of Faabeli at the byro but please remember to wear gauntlets of silk with the really old ones :-). The editor board is pleased to receive any scripts from Synapsi's members - also in English.
Synapsi keeps up three mailing lists:
- Snapsi (firstname.lastname@example.org) is intended for all kinds of information trough the board.
- Biologia (email@example.com) is ment for biology students only - Maantiede (firstname.lastname@example.org) is designed to geography related information.
- Contact the board of Synapsi (email@example.com) if you wish to join the mailing lists.
You can apply for a membership by filling a membership form which you can get from the office or from here and paying the membership fee. The membership fee for seven years is 10 euros or 5 euros if you want to pay just one academic year. The amount is decided by the annual general assembly of Synapsi ry. After paying the fee and returning the membership form you're entitled to a member sticker that should be added to your UTU student card (Antenna).
The office of Synapsi ry can be found from the University hill as follows: In the corridor between Natural Science Building I and II (1st floor) you can see a glass door near to the lecture room XXII, go through that door and go down the stairs. The office is room number 011. The office is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays 12.00-13.00 o'clock.
As a member:
- You can participate to sponsored events of the organisation (excursions, sports and culture)
- You can borrow things (like games) from the office
- You can go to the botanical garden of Ruissalo out of charge
In case that you want to send feedback you can do it with a form here.